Membertou Trade and Convention Centre (MTCC) is Cape Breton’s premiere meeting and convention facility, a popular concert venue, and home to one of Sydney’s Top 10 Restaurants. The MTCC is a well-recognized business, playing an integral role in the economy of Membertou and the surrounding community.
Operating within the hospitality sector, some of the key success factors for our business include:
• Excellence in Customer Service
• Product Differentiation
• Cost Control
• Effective Advertising
Employees of the Membertou Trade and Convention Centre are key to the achievement of these success factors. As a result, our goal is to attract, retain and develop employees who are:
• Knowledgeable and effective in carrying out their assigned duties
• Knowledgeable about the facility and its products & services
• Knowledgeable about Membertou, local attractions and surrounding areas
• Courteous and professional toward customers and other employees
• Committed to achieving the financial and operational goals of the MTCC
• Committed to representing Membertou in a positive manner at all times
Our team is made up of a variety of employees including Cooks, Food & Beverage Servers, Event Set Up Workers, Sales Associates, Administrative Assistants, Audio Video Technicians and more. If you are interested in a career in the hospitality sector, the MTCC may be the place for you! Please feel free to drop off a resume at any time and check this website regularly for current Employment Opportunities.
Job Title: Lead Audio Video Technician
Position: Part-Time Hourly ($22.00 per hour)
Department: Event Production & Technical Services
The Lead Audio Visual Technician for the Membertou Trade and Convention Centre (MTCC) is responsible for a variety of technical duties, ranging from assisting business customers with set up and usage of basic meeting technology to set up and operation of sound and lighting equipment for live concerts. Strong time management, attention to detail and customer service focus are key aspects of this position.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Must be able to follow instructions on a BEO (Banquet Event Order) and be knowledgeable of floor plans and various set up types.
• Set up, operation and teardown of all Audio Visual equipment before, during and after events. Audio Visual Equipment includes: stage & event lighting, all audio systems small & large, backline, video & voice conference systems, projection systems, lap top computers, smart carts, displays & TVs.
• Assist the AV Technical Services Manager with training A/V technicians while fostering a team focus environment.
• Assist, as required, with assembly of staging, including pipe and drape, portable staging/risers, podiums, dance floor, house lights and decor.
• Assist, as required, with advance show requirements including sound check, and final review and adjustments to technology, backline, stage design, etc.
• Attend to customer requests, helping to retrieve and set up additional event items, or assist with equipment issues during an event.
• Assist with inventory control and preventative and general maintenance of all technical equipment including repairs, upgrades and adjustments.
• Assist with maintenance of the department’s areas of work such as the stage, technical areas, storage spaces, and the stage loading bay & artist entrance.
• Maintain a safe environment for clients, guests & staff at all times.
• Monitor event decorators’ activities that affect public safety and building care.
• Promote inter-department unity by building and maintaining strong working relationships with all MTCC departments.
• Must be courteous and professional toward guests and co-workers, be well groomed and appropriately dressed as per policy.
• Adhere to all company policies and must adhere to media relations policies.
• Required to report any incidents, such as theft, injuries, etc. to the AV Technical Services Manager or Management Team.
• Adhere to the Building Fire Procedure and evacuation plan.
• Adhere to all Health and Safety rules and regulations.
• Maintain positive relationships with Membertou’s Internal and External Customers, ensuring transactions or information received on behalf of the Band and/or its members are kept confidential.
• Maintain and improve Membertou’s Quality Management System as it relates to job related duties and/or department.
• Other department related duties as required by the AV Technical Services Manager or Management Team.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Post-secondary education in a relevant field is preferred.
• Minimum of 2 years of experience in a similar role is required.
• Must have a solid understanding of event logistics & industry terms.
• Computer literate with both Mac and PC, as well as with programs such as PowerPoint, Excel, Visio and various audio/video editing software systems.
• Experience with the Martin M2GO lighting system an asset.
• Basic construction skills required for maintenance and design creation/props/stage needs/etc.
• Electrical knowledge in basic wiring and reference terms.
• Basic knowledge of musical instruments both acoustic and digital (names/brands/type).
• Ability to share knowledge and best industry practices.
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in written format.
• Quick thinking and decision-making abilities to solve problems as they arise.
• Ability to manage time and meet required deadlines.
• Ability to work both independently and as a team player.
• Ability to multi-task with high energy during high-demand shows and events.
• Ability to think outside the box for creative designs to suit event needs.
• Must be flexible with working hours to be able to attend client events.
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and maneuver equipment at various heights, sometimes using automated lifts.
Submit your cover letter and résumé to:
Membertou Human Resources Department
Attention: Troy Paul
111 Membertou Street
Membertou, NS B1S2M9
Or via E-mail to: email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: Thursday, April 5th, 2018 @ 4:00 pm
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.